20/05/2016 – The 23-year old Hungarian players will debut in Paris against the World No105 Samantha Crawford.
On Friday at noon the main draw was made for the men’s and women’s singles for the second Grand Slam tournament of the season: Timi’s opponent will be Samantha Crawford at the French Open.
– How would you rate your performances on clay this year?
– This year I learned a lot again about how to play on clay. Mainly I felt better after the Rabat event. Overall, I feel, that My performance was good on clay so far. I hope, that I will finish well the clay court season at the Garros.
– How did the preparation gone for the last few days?
– I spent a lot of time in the conditioning room and on the pitch as well. The Grand Slams are long events, I must prepare to play more matches. And of course I need a lot of work and training, to be able to play well and continue to develop.
– What is your opinion about the Garros draw?
– The first match is never easy at a Grand Slam tournament. Whoever is the opponent. My goal is to make the most out of myself. I will do everything for it, I hope this will be successful. I want to play and enjoy the tournament without pressure, I would like to continue the good performances of recent weeks.
The 23-year old Hungarian player is ranked 44th. Previously, she played twice at the main draw of the Roland Garros: in 2012 and 2015 she lost in the opening round. In 2014 she was semifinalist in Mixed Doubles, and in 2015 she reached the last eight. In 2012 and 2015 Timi lost in the second round of the Women’s Doubles.
Samantha Crawford was born February 18, 1995, she is ranked currently 105th. Her career best position is 104th (11 April 2016) was. So far she has won 1 ITF tournament in singles.
This year the US-player reached the semifinal from the qualies in Brisbane (Australia, 1 000 000 USD, hard court), won among others against Belinda Bencic (then WTA-14, 7:5, 7:5) and Andrea Petkovic (then WTA-24., 6:3, 6:0). In the first round of the Australian Open she lost against Danka Kovinic (then WTA-54., 6:2, 6:4).
Crawford has never been at the main draw of the French Open.
The two players so far have not met at the WTA Tour in singles.
Women’s Doubles: Russian-Australian opponents
Two days after the women’s singles draw the draw for the doubles also made at the Roland Garros: Timi and Yaroslava Shvedova became the fourth seed in Paris.
The Hungarian-Kazakh duo’s opponent will be Anastasia and Arina Rodionova. Older member of the Russian-born sisters, the 34-year old Anastasia is playing for Australia since 2009, while her sister Arina (26 years old) since 2014.
Anastasia Rodionova is ranked 44th, her career best position was 15 (September 8, 2014). So far, she has won 9 WTA and 13 ITF event in doubles. Six years ago she was semifinalist at the US Open, and she reached the last eight in the other three Grand Slam tournament. At the Roland Garros she was quarter-finalist in 2011 and 2012. This year she also made the last eight at the Australian Open with her sister.
Arina Rodionova is ranked 67th, her career best position was 41 (27 July 2015). So far, she has won 28 ITF tournament in doubles.