02/11/2015 – The decision came after the WTA Finals in Singapore.
The 22-year old Hungarian player will start with the former World No1 Katarina Srebotnik. Kristina Mladenovic will play with the fellow French, Caroline Garcia, because of the Rio Olympics.
– How do you rate the one and a half year partnership with Kristina Mladenovic?
– I think, for a very, very long time it was a great relationship. We were able to beat the best pairs, We celebrated great victories. We both had a couple of great goals, for example, We wanted to get to the WTA Finals. We have created a good pair, well complemented each other. Unfortunately, there was a break after the 2015 Wimbledon tournament. So, maybe it will be good to have a pause. I do not think that would be the end of our relationship, because we always think in long terms. However, the 2016 Olympics changed some things. Overall, I will be lucky, because now I can focus better on my singles performance. Of course, in the future I will play on maximum focus in doubles, also. I would also like to thank Kiki for the great successes together, and I wish Her good luck!
– Why did you choose Srebotnik? Which side will be your strengths on the court?
– Srebotnik is a very great player! After previous individual successes she was able to reach the No1 position in doubles with different partners. She played several Grand Slam finals in Women’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles. She is an experienced player, she is playing on the forehand, it’s good for Me. I think we can help each other. And of course, not incidentally, she has been playing doubles only. So it might be a little easier to work together, drawing up a joint tournament’s schedule.
– What is your goal with the new partner for the 2016 season?
– I’m not going to hide, when I got this question: in 2016 I also want to play at the WTA Finals. This year, with a different partner, Srebotnik with Garcia and Me with Kiki, reached that goal. We both played in Singapore. So, We can say, that next year We can succeed together. In addition, I expect a balanced, full of good results, and smiling next season, with My new partner. We will do everything for it :))!
Timi’s new companion will be the doubles specialist Katarina Srebotnik. The 34-year old Slovenian player is ranked 14th, her career best was 1 (4 July 2011). She is ranked 6th in the 2015 Doubles Race with Caroline Garcia. The French-Slovenian duo finished the WTA Finals in White Group with 1 win and 2 defeat.
Srebotnik has won 36 WTA and 19 ITF tournament in doubles. During her career she has played 5 times in a Grand Slam final in WD, she celebrated in 2011 at Wimbledon, with Kvera Peschke. In Mixed Doubles the Slovenian player reached the final 11 times, she won 5 tournament (1999: Roland Garros, Co: Piet Norval, 2003: US Open, Co: Bob Bryan, 2006: Roland Garros, Co: Nenad Zimonjic, 2010: Roland Garros, Co: Zimonjic, 2011: Australian Open, Co: Daniel Nestor).
This season Srebotnik has played 4 times in the final of a WTA event, all time with Garcia. They remained unbeaten at Eastbourne (England, 731,000 USD, grass), while they lost the last match in Brisbane (Australia, 1 000 000 USD, hard court), in Stuttgart (Germany, 731,000 USD, indoor – clay) and in Toronto (Canada , 2 513 000 USD, hard court).
After the good results in juniors Timi and Mladenovic firstly play at adults in 2012 in an ITF event at France. Then, in February 2014 they reached the final at the indoor WTA Premier tournament in Paris. They began the one and a half year partnership in the summer of 2014, and in the second event they reached the final at Wimbledon. After that, they were also finalist in Cincinnati and Limoges. This year they remained unbeaten in Dubai, Marrakech and Rome.